Overview & Core Services
Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange provides exceptional study abroad experiences through academically and professionally integrated pathways for Illinois students, faculty, and staff.
A unit of Illinois International Programs, Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange currently facilitates approximately 150 study abroad programs in more than 45 countries. We firmly believe that international education is transformative. Not only does it foster global citizenship, but also allows our students to enhance their skill-sets, broaden their perspectives, and gain a deeper understanding of their given fields. Our programs are open to students from all academic fields, backgrounds, and identities. We seek to be inclusive in our approach to study abroad and introduce our students to a multi-faceted understanding of their disciplines and a broader set of tools with which to solve complex problems.
Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange is the campus study abroad office. Our portfolio includes: exchange programs, direct enroll programs, provider programs, customized short-term programs, and signature programs. We also serve as a collaborative partner across campus, providing support and guidance to students, faculty, staff, partner institutions, and our fellow study abroad offices in the Colleges. We do this through our core services of Program Development, Program Management, Partner Relations, Business, Outreach and Marketing, and Systems.
Exchanging Ideas in the Global Classroom (Video)
- 20th among all national institutions for number of students earning credit for studying abroad (2,018) in 2015-16 by Open Doors.
- More than $385,000 awarded annually in study abroad scholarships.
- 25 unique scholarship opportunities supported by donors to Illinois students to pursue educational opportunities outside of the United States.
- Student fees contribute to the Illinois for Illinois (I4I) Scholarship Fund, a student-led initiative, which supported 300 undergraduate students pursuing study abroad experiences in 2016-17.
- 43% of all outbound Illinois students studied abroad on Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange-sponsored programs.