Before You Create a Program

Understand your options and requirements before planning out your Study Abroad program.

Education Abroad & International Travel Policies

For full information on University of Illinois international education and travel policies and practices, refer to the Office of the Provost Education Abroad & International Travel Policies and the Campus Administrative Manual (CAM) Policy on International Travel.

Learning & Engagement Abroad

Educational opportunities abroad come in many different shapes and sizes, varing in academic objectives, length, location, and price. The most common types of study abroad programs are listed below.

Duration of Programs

Program durations typically fall into the following categories: calendar year, academic year, semester, summer (2 to 8 weeks), winter break (1 to 3 weeks), fall break (1 week), and spring break (1 week).

Types of Programs

Illinois Faculty-Led Programs

Illinois faculty might lead by teaching an Illinois course abroad, adding an international component as a non-credit-bearing or credit-bearing segment to an on-campus course, or taking a group abroad for a non-credit-bearing program to examine a theme that complements on-campus curricula. Often these programs are called Courses Abroad or Study Tours.

Programs for U.S. Students

In these programs, students are in an international setting but take courses that are designed for U.S. students, largely following U.S.-style curricula. They typically have full on-site support, including orientation, advising, housing assistance, and cultural activities and excursions.

Direct Enrollment & Exchange Programs

These programs are those in which a U.S. student is directly enrolled in a foreign university and takes classes side by side with local students. On-site support ranges from full (as with programs for U.S. students) to basic.

Internationalizing Your Curriculum

To learn more about how to integrate international study, speak with the personnel of your college or Stacy Billman, senior coordinator for short-term programs who handles new programs. For information on publicity and classroom visits, you should also contact Stacy Billman. For information on credit for international study, contact Tatiana Nikolaeva. For study abroad contacts in your college and others, see our Contacts page.

Group Photo in Turkey

Students and faculty exploring the Library of Celsus in the ancient Greek city of Ephesus.


Faculty or Staff Research & Travel Abroad

We encourage faculty and staff to register with Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange when travelling abroad to enroll in International Insurance through our online application. By doing so this will also allow us to be of assistance to you in the event of an emergency.

To register with Illinois Abroad, faculty/staff must complete the online International Insurance Enrollment application. Please be prepared to supply department billing information when applying. We no longer accept personal checks. Once the form is processed you will receive an email from the Coordinator for International Safety and Security with your international insurance card, claims form, policy brochure, and instructions on how to go mobile.

Illinois Abroad: A Statistical Portrait

Education Abroad: Illinois Students in the World is an October 2011 report of selected Study Abroad data, including information on program participation and gender representation for Illinois programs.

Expanding Our Education Abroad Portfolio with Student International Academic Affairs

The Student International Academic Affairs (SIAA) is the university's central unit for managing education abroad activities. It helps you in creating and managing short and long-term programs abroad, specifically with the following services:

  • Coordinate and manage campus-wide initiatives, standards, and policies.
  • Collaborate with college-based study abroad staff and advisors.
  • Sponsor faculty curricular development workshops and grants.
  • Develop the university's international portfolio responding to student and unit needs.
  • Consult with departments on where their students go, what they study, and what departmental credits are awarded abroad.
  • Manage databases, application processes, and business practices for short and long-term education abroad activities.
  • Manage risk, health and safety concerns, and emergency response and State Department Travel Warnings for all students abroad.
  • Represent the university and disseminate information regarding education abroad.

For additional information, contact Bo White or the Office of the Provost, Education Abroad and International Travel Policies.