We are committed to providing high-quality advising and resources to all students.
Our staff believes that education abroad is a transformational experience that contributes positively to student learning and development as well as fosters an institutional culture that promotes global understanding and appreciation. Our staff approaches advising as a collaborative process in which you are responsible for being an active, reflective, and educated participant in your education abroad experience. Our staff will provide professional, inclusive guidance and resources throughout the entirety of your education abroad experience. We ground our advising practices in the Forum Standards of Good Practice for Education Abroad.
Step One: Visit the Advising & Resource Center
Our Advising and Resource Center (112 International Studies Building) is staffed by Program Assistants who are students who have studied abroad on one or more Illinois-sponsored programs. Program Assistants can help you:
- Identify your interests and goals (academic, professional, and personal)
- Explore your program options in more detail
- Determine a country or region of interest
- Understand the program application process
- Address general questions or concerns you may have about studying abroad
Walk-in hours can be found on the Info Sessions, Workshops, and Deadlines Calendar.
Step Two: Schedule an Appointment
Once you have chosen a region or country, schedule an appointment with an Education Abroad Coordinator for more specialized advising. Each Coordinator is assigned to a portfolio of programs located in different regions of the world. Our Education Abroad Coordinators can:
- Help you identify a program that aligns with your interests and goals
- Provide in-depth knowledge about IAGE-sponsored education abroad programs
- Address privately any specific questions or concerns you may have about studying abroad
- Share information and resources to navigate the entirety of the process
- Connect you to returned study abroad students, colleagues or other relevant resources on campus
Before you schedule an appointment with an Education Abroad Coordinator, you should first meet with a Program Assistant or attend a First Steps Workshop and fill out your online profile in My Study Abroad.
How to Schedule an Appointment
Make sure to select the appropriate Coordinator based upon their regional portfolios and follow the instructions provided for scheduling your appointment online. Please provide a clear explanation of which program/countries you are interested in and what you hope to accomplish during the appointment. The more detailed information you can provide, the better we will be able to support you. Same day appointments are not guaranteed.
If you cannot keep your appointment, please cancel it in your My Study Abroad account at least four hours in advance.
Schedule an Advising Appointment
Click on each region below to find the appropriate Education Abroad Coordinator and schedule advising appointments. Keep in mind that the following staff advise on IAGE-sponsored programs only. For advising on college-sponsored programs, vist this page to find your college study abroad office's website and contact information.