Incoming Application Process
Once you have been formally nominated to participate in an exchange program at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Illinois), you should receive an application link and access code from your home institution. Here are some important things to know about the application process before you get started.
Who You Will Work With
When you apply as an exchange student, you will work with Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange (IAGE) and International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS). It is important to understand the difference between these two offices. Click the boxes below to learn more about each office.
The application deadline is cyclical—occurring every year on the following dates.
- Fall and Academic Year (August start): March 1
- Spring and Calendar Year (January start): September 1
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Enrollment as a full-time undergraduate student at an institution that has a bilateral student exchange agreement with Illinois. To find out if your university has an active agreement with Illinois, contact the office or individual who coordinates such exchanges on your home campus.
- Nomination from your home university to participate in the exchange program at Illinois.
- A 3.0 out of a 4.0 grade point average or a "B" average in all courses.
- Completion of one year of university education prior to commencement of exchange at the Illinois.
- English language proficiency (see section on "English Language Proficiency Verification" on the Instructions & Components page).
- Certified evidence of financial support (see section on "Certification of Financial Support" Instructions & Components page).
All incoming exchange students must submit their applications electronically. You should have received the link and access code via email from your home university. Visit the Instructions & Components page for next steps in the application process.