mobile menu toggle


Take note of how you will get billed once you’ve been accepted into a program.

Official Program Budget

(sometimes referred to as a Financial Aid Budget)

After acceptance into a program but before required commitment, we will upload your official budget into My Study Abroad. This document is very similar to the unofficial budget on the Program Costs page, except this budget has the official program costs. These are the amounts that will be billed to your student account and will also be used by the Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) in creating your study abroad financial aid packages. Review budgets carefully before committing to the program. Once you commit, you may be liable for the program costs. See the withdrawal policy for more information.

Confirmation of Participation

After acceptance into a program, your Education Abroad Coordinator will upload a confirmation of participation (CoP) into your My Study Abroad account. The top section of the document will be identical to the official budget but the bottom has a contract agreement section, a signature section, and a policy section. You must print, sign, scan, and upload the completed CoP into your My Study Abroad account. Students cannot participate in the program if this step is not completed. If you fail to submit the CoP by the program commitment deadline, you will be withdrawn from the program.


Illinois Students (including UIS and UIC students)

Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange (IAGE) and the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign billable fees will be billed to your student accounts shortly before the start of each term. Second eight week classes will not have additional university tuition, only IAGE billable fees and the International Safety and Security Fee. Study Abroad fees are payment plan eligible. Learn more about Payment Due Dates or contact the University Bursar.

  • Spring and second half of Academic Year: First week of January (Due February 28)
  • Spring second 8 week classes with Summer travel: Middle of April (Due May 28)
  • Summer programs: First week of May (Due June 28)
  • Fall and first half of Academic Year: First week of August (Due September 28)
  • Fall second 8 week classes with Winter Break travel: Middle of October (Due November 28)

We will pay vendors and universities for any items listed in the IAGE billable section of the official program budget (see example on the Program Costs page). If you receive an invoice from the host institution, please email us before paying.

Other Big 10 University Students

All fees for other Big 10 university students will be billed by their home institution in accordance with the home institution’s billing procedures. IAGE will directly bill the home institution for all fees associated with its students participating on IAGE programs, including the non-refundable Study Abroad Systems Fee.

All Other Non-Illinois Students

Students from non-Big 10 universities will be enrolled at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign as non-degree seeking students during your time abroad, and all billable fees will be billed to their student account.

Additional Fees & Delayed Billing

Some programs may charge extra for different housing types and courses that require studio materials or have a lab component. Initially, your student account will be billed for the base amount listed on the official program budget. If you choose a more costly housing type or enroll in a course with an additional fee, you will most likely be billed for that amount later in the term. We will wait to charge you these additional fees until after we receive the invoice from the host institution.

For example, a student’s account could be billed for housing in the initial billing at the beginning of the term. A month into the term, after we receive the invoice showing that the student chose single occupancy housing, we would then bill the student for the additional sum.