Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange (IAGE) does not approve courses. It is the responsibility of the student to get their courses approved by their college.
Choosing Your Study Abroad Courses
Start by investigating the classes you could take abroad and discuss them with your academic advisor. For IAGE programs, the "Academics" tab of the online program page within My Study Abroad will explain which courses are offered. For college programs, check the online program page or contact your college study abroad office directly to find out which courses are offered.
Remember, IAGE cannot approve your courses. The course approval process is unique to each college. Read the instructions below to find out how to get your study abroad courses approved by your college.
College Course Approval Instructions
Follow the instructions for the college in which you are enrolled during your term abroad. For example, if you are a student in the College of ACES, but go on an LAS study abroad program, you need to follow the ACES course approval instructions. Depending on your college, you may need to complete the Course Approval Process prior to departure. Click on the links below to find the course approval instructions for your college.
- College of ACES
- College of Applied Health Sciences
- Gies College of Business
- Division of General Studies
- College of Education
- College of Engineering
- College of Fine & Applied Arts
- College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
- College of Media
- School of Social Work
Request Transcripts from Host Institution
- Notify your program or institution to send the original transcript directly to the Office of the Registrar at the following address:
- Office of the Registrar
ATTN: Stewart Schrof, Academic Records Coordinator
Study Abroad, Graduation and Graduate Support
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
901 West Illinois Street, Suite 140
Urbana, IL 61801-3446
- Office of the Registrar
- Make sure you have paid all bills at your host university abroad. Outstanding financial obligations may prevent your transcript from being released from your host institution abroad.
- If you are planning to apply to graduate, medical, or law schools in the future, and/or need official transcripts for your own use, please make the proper arrangements with your host institution to have them sent directly to you or to the institution requesting the transcript. The University of Illinois will not be able to provide official copies of your international transcript to you or any third party.
- You may want to find out from your program coordinator abroad when your transcript will be mailed to Illinois upon completion of your study abroad program. The timing varies significantly from program to program. This information will give you an approximate timeline for your record processing at Illinois. The processing of your study abroad record at Illinois cannot start until your international transcript is received.
Important note: Bring all your course materials, artwork, syllabi, etc. back to the University of Illinois. They may be needed to determine the exact equivalency of the courses you took abroad. Do not discard them until you see your courses posted on your University of Illinois academic record.