As you approach your departure date, review the packing list below and consider what you will need to bring abroad.
This packing list is for a typical semester abroad in a location with moderate weather. Make adjustments to this list based upon how long you will be abroad, your personal needs/preferences, the climate/weather of your host country, the culture of your host community, and the nature of your program. For example, if you will be completing an internship abroad, you may need to pack more professional/formal clothing. If you are studying abroad in a country with a cold climate, you may need to pack more weather gear. If you have questions about what to pack, contact your program advisor.
- Allow several days to consider what you need
- Make copies of important documents (passport, credit cards, etc.) and pack it in your checked-bag in case items are lost or stolen
- Pack neutral, layerable clothes to mix and match
- Re-pack your bag several times
- Visit the TSA website for airline regulations
Items to Avoid Packing
- Clothes with Greek letters/athletic team logos
- Overly casual clothes
- Expensive jewelry
- Full-sized toiletries
- Hair dryer/curling iron/straightener
- Large electronics
- Uncomfortable footwear
- Illegal items in your host country