International Safety and Security team monitors world events and responds to student, faculty, and staff incidents abroad on a 24/7 basis.
Safety Abroad Website
The Safety Abroad website (https://safetyabroad.illinois.edu/) is your primary resources for health, safety, and wellness abroad. Review the key pages below and familiarize yourself with the emergency contact resources, international insurance, safety and wellness tips before you depart.
- Using Your International Insurance
- Safety & Wellness Tips
- Mental Health Abroad
- Physical Health Abroad
- DRES Abroad
- Pre-Departure Training Videos
- Frequently Asked Questions
All students should review the International Insurance Coverage information on the Safety Abroad website prior to departure. Below are key numbers, contact information, and quick tips for students when using the International Insurance.
- Policy Number: GLM N10893392
- View and download a copy of the insurance ID card
- View and download a copy of the policy brochure
- Phone: 1-866-693-6873 (Toll-Free) or 1-312-935-9242 (Direct Dial)
- Email: GallagherGlobalAssistance@ajg.com
- Before you leave, communicate with International Insurance to verify the legality of medications in your host country, arrange to have prescriptions issued or refilled while in country, and/or to request an allergy card translated into the local language.
- While abroad, contact the International Insurance for assistance locating and scheduling medical appointments.
- File claims with the International Insurance, which must be submitted within 90 days of receiving care. Learn more about filing a claim for reimbursement.
24/7 Emergency Contact Number+1-217-333-1216
The Emergency Contact Number is a 24-hour response line for student, faculty, and staff members abroad. The number first directs callers to the University of Illinois Police Department (UIPD), who then forwards the call to International Safety and Security.
The U.S. Department of State provides a list of 911 equivalent phone numbers for countries around the world.