mobile menu toggle

Exchange Student Finances

Read this page carefully to understand the fees associated with your exchange program.

Exchange Student Fees

All incoming exchange students will receive a tuition waiver. However, depending on your university's agreement with the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, you will still be required to pay various student fees or fees for instruction not covered under the exchange agreement.

Fees that you can expect to see on your invoice each semester will vary based on based on variety of unique factors. At minimum, you can expect to see the non-waived fees below. The fee amounts can be found on the Office of the Registrar's website by clicking on the "Campus Fees" section for the term you will attend be the university.

Non-Waived Fees

  • Health Insurance Fee
  • Health Service Fee
  • Transportation Fee
  • International Student Fee

Student Health Insurance

All students, including incoming exchange students, are automatically enrolled in and charged for the university's Student Health Insurance. You will need to create an online account to obtain your insurance card. Once you have created your account, you will be able to print a copy of your insurance card or have a copy mailed to you.

Questions about Student Health Insurance

If you have specific questions, please contact the Student Health Insurance directly.

Student Health Insurance
Phone: 217-333-0165

Other Expenses

In addition to the fees listed above, you will need to budget for housing and meals, books and supplies, additional course fees, entertainment, and living expenses. Exchange students should arrive to campus earlier than the start of the semester for mandatory Incoming Exchange Orientation, and if you are staying in University Housing, you may have to pay early arrival fees outside of the regular University Housing contract.

Paying Your University Student Account Bill

You will receive notification to pay your student account bill via email. For more information about how to view your account and to pay, visit the University Bursar website. You will be able to pay your e-bill in-person (checks or money order only), online (American Express, Discover, MasterCard, or Visa only), or by wire transfer. Credit card transactions and wire transfers may be subject to a convenience/transaction fee.

To avoid transaction fees and minimize inconveniences when paying your bill, it is recommended that you open a checking account with a local U.S. bank. There are five banks with locations on campus: Busey Bank, First Financial Bank, PNC, and U of I Community Credit Union. Chase Bank and Bank of America are also options, as both are national banks with multiple ATMs around town, including on campus.

Questions about your Student Account

If you have specific questions about your student account and billing, please the University Bursar directly. Remember to include your UIN in the email for quicker service.

University Bursar
Phone: 217-333-2180